Here’s a fun experiment to explore gravity and magnetism. Do you know how the laws of gravity affect magnets? Well, we’re about to find out how! Gravity is the force that pulls two objects together. The Earth’s gravity, found at the core, is what keeps us grounded. Gravity is why things fall down and not float up! In this experiment, we’re going to defy gravity! So go ahead and check out this marvellous mechanics defying gravity experiment video to know how.
Parental Involvement: Low
Duration: 20 minutes
Skills Acquired: Experimentation, Cognitive, Play
- Paper clip
- Cardboard Strip
- Styrofoam (or tubes to hold the cardboard)
- A pair of scissors
Instructions for Marvellous Mechanics Defying Gravity Experiment
- Tie thread to the paper clips.
- Using glue, stick the magnets on a strip of cardboard.
- Stick two styrofoam stands on a flat surface, using tape.
- Place the strip of cardboard on the two styrofoam stands.
- Hold the paper clips near the magnets on the cardboard strip.
- Watch the paper clips hover!
Aren’t the paper clips hovering?
Science behind it
The magnetic force between the magnet and paper clip is stronger than the magnetic force between the paper clip and the Earth’s gravity. This is why the paper clip stays suspended in air rather than falling to the ground.
Activity done by Vishwajeet