Gears were originally made of wood and were used in windmills. Nowadays, we make gears using metals and plastics. We use gears in clocks, cars, bikes, and many other simple machines. Let’s make a simple paper gear to understand gear movement! First, you will learn how to make origami paper gears, next you will learn how to use them to make art. Go ahead and watch the marvellous mechanics owl gears activity below!
Parental Involvement: Low
Duration: 30 minutes
Skills Acquired: Discovery, Creativity, Play
- Coloured papers
- A pair of scissors
Instructions for Marvellous Mechanics Owl Gears Activity
- Fold your coloured paper in half and cut vertically.
- Bring the two sides of the paper to the centre.
- Now, fold the two sides in half and begin to fan it.
- Watch the video above for the origami procedure.
- Fold a paper in half and draw half an owl, as shown in the video above, and cut.
- Place your origami gears on the paper.
- On a another sheet of paper cut out a small triangle and place below the origami gears.
- Move the gears and watch them move!
Your owl gears decor is done!
Move the paper gears and watch your owl move its eyes! Can you come up with other uses for the origami gears? The type of gear and position of the gears helps change the speed, force, and direction of the mechanism. You can experiment by making more origami gears of different sizes. Put the gears together and observe how the gears move.
Activity done by Vishwajeet