Boats and ships have been used for centuries to help people travel and navigate the mighty oceans! Now, there are hundreds of different types of boats. We’re going to see how to make five different types of boats using paper. Go ahead and watch the ocean navigator paper boats video to see how.
Parental Involvement: Medium
Duration: 20 minutes
Skills Acquired: Discovery, Play, Experimentation
- Coloured papers
- Sketch pen
Instructions for Ocean Navigator Paper Boats:
- Fold a square paper diagonally, creating a triangle.
- Flip the triangle over, the open side should be facing right.
- Bring the bottom half up, folding up along the middle line.
- Using a sketch pen, draw the details of the sail.
- Fold a square paper in half, creating a rectangle.
- Fold it in half again, creating a square.
- Fold in half, along the center line, one layer of paper on one side.
- Fold down the three layers of paper on the other side.
- Put your fingers through the pocket of the triangle, press down. (refer to the video!)
- Pull the paper on either sides of the triangle.
- Fold an A4-sized paper in half, horizontally.
- Fold the paper in half again and create a crease.
- Open the previous fold, align the top right corner of the paper to the crease in the middle. Repeat the same for the top left corner.
- From the bottom section, fold up the bottom paper.
- Turn the paper over and fold the bottom paper upward.
- Put your fingers through the pocket of the triangle and pull in half. You will be left with a square (refer to the video!)
- Fold back, along the middle line, one half of the square. Turn the paper over and repeat the same.
- Put your fingers through the pocket and flatten the paper. You will be left with a square (refer to the video!)
- Repeat the step 7.
- Pull the paper out on either sides of the triangle.
- From the middle flaps of the triangle, pull out the first flap and insert through the bottom pocket. (refer to the video!)
- Repeat step 11 from another flap.
- Pull out the paper on either sides to create pockets on either sides of the boat.
- Fold a square paper in half and create a crease.
- Bring the sides of the paper to the middle crease.
- Bring the corners of the paper to the middle line. Creating a small triangle. Repeat this on all four corners.
- Fold the sides of the triangle in half. (refer to the video!) Repeat the same on all four corners.
- Bring up the center section to the middle line.
- Fold back the paper from the middle section and create a pocket.
- Refer to the video for the finishing touches of the boat.
- Fold a square paper in half, twice. You will end up with a square.
- Fold two sheets of the paper along the middle point.
- Fold the other sheets of paper on the opposite side, into the pocket created in the middle point.
- Put your fingers through the pocket of the triangle and flatten.
- Pull out the two sides of the triangle to finish your boat. (refer video!)
Your paper boats are done!
How about setting all the boats sail in water and seeing which one sails the fastest or longest?
Activity by Vishwajeet